Monday, January 25, 2010

All Done


Ashlyn has perfected her sign for "all done" (ok, not in this picture as it involves 2 hands, but that's just the photographer's fault). She has transferred it from being all done with eating to using it when the food is all gone on her tray, the cracker bag is empty, or when the bath water is gone. I can also use it to redirect her from playing with something she shouldn't be by signing and telling her "all done" and she understands and peacefully moves on after I take the object away from her.

But the biggest "all done" in our lives, as of today, is being done with nursing. Yep, after 17 months, she is an independent little girl. And I'm an independent mommy. It was easier than I thought it would be, and it has been gradual, but today was the official first day of the rest of her life without being attached to mommy (at least in this sense). I am thankful for the bonding we were able to share all these months, the ability to even nurse in the first place, and the tenacity and patience to keep going when she was distracted or I wanted a night out. I am thankful that I was able to provide her with immunities and God's perfect food, and now it's up to the "real" food to get her through. I will miss that bonding time we had each day, but we'll just have find new ways of bonding as mommy and daughter.

1 comment:

Stacy said...

Awweee! She's just such a big girl now!